1) Design and oversee testing, installation, and repair of marine apparatus and equipment.
2) Conduct analytical, environmental, operational, or performance studies in order to develop designs for products, such as marine engines, equipment, and structures.
3) Prepare, or direct the preparation of, product or system layouts and detailed drawings and schematics.
4) Evaluate operation of marine equipment during acceptance testing and shakedown cruises.
5) Analyze data in order to determine feasibility of product proposals.
6) Confer with research personnel in order to clarify or resolve problems, and to develop or modify designs.
7) Investigate and observe tests on machinery and equipment for compliance with standards.
8) Conduct environmental, operational, or performance tests on marine machinery and equipment.
Determine conditions under which tests are to be conducted, as well as sequences and phases of test operations.
Maintain and coordinate repair of marine machinery and equipment for installation on vessels.