We are looking for a responsible Safety Officer to facilitate compliance with occupational health and safety (OHS) guidelines. You will provide advice on measures to minimize hazards or unhealthy situations. You will also be on a constant lookout for violations.
The ideal candidate will be a responsible individual who swears by OSH regulations. Your work will be largely focused on prevention so you need to be conscientious and farsighted. The ideal candidate will also be detail-oriented and ready to act in emergencies.
The goal is to establish a safe workplace according to legal standards and foster a culture of attention to health and safety.
· Support the development of OHS policies and programs
· Advise and instruct on various safety-related topics (noise levels, use of machinery etc.)
· Conduct risk assessment and enforce preventative measures
· Review existing policies and measures and update according to legislation
· Initiate and organize OHS training of employees and executives
· Inspect premises and the work of personnel to identify issues or non-conformity (e.g. not using protective equipment)
· Oversee installations, maintenance, disposal of substances etc.
· Stop any unsafe acts or processes that seem dangerous or unhealthy
· Record and investigate incidents to determine causes and handle worker’s compensation claims
· Prepare reports on occurrences and provide statistical information to upper management
· Proven experience as safety officer
· In depth knowledge of legislation (e.g. OSHA/EPA) and procedures
· Knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices
· Experience in writing reports and policies for health and safety
· Familiarity with conducting data analysis and reporting statistics
· Proficient in MS Office; Working knowledge of safety management information systems is a plus
· Outstanding organizational skills
· Diligent with great attention to detail
· Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and explain health and safety topics
· BSc/BA in safety management, engineering or relevant field is preferred
· Certificate in occupational health and safety