- Maintain or stabilize a secure network for data communication which needs to be quite efficient and reliable.
- Should be able to configure all the active networks.
- Should also be able to deploy the equipment.
- Be regular with maintaining and monitoring it in order to ensure uniform operation of the networks.
- Must be responsible for organizing, designing the organization's computer system.
- Should also be good with installing and supporting the network systems.
- Should support or maintain the customer's or the client's network and other in-house servers and should be able to configure it when needed.
- Must also develop a plan to install and combine new server hardware and application
- Need to look for necessary updates or upgrades and must implement it whenever deemed necessary.
- Support 3rd party computer applications and ensure the connectivity and the security of the network.
- Monitor the performance of the network i.e, check its availability and utilization of the network and also it's latency.
- Deliver more efficiency in their work by regularly testing for weaknesses and improve on that.
- Set up user accounts, permissions, and passwords.
- Needs to resolve all the problems or queries reported by the end user or the client and provide them with proper resolution.
- Keep a record of all the requirements and day to day updates required for the system.
- They also need to specify system requirements and design solutions for the network systems and be very good with research and recommend proper upgrades on the server system.
- Hands-on experience in networking, routing, and switching.
- Should have excellent knowledge of the best practices which are defined by their client
- Should be well versed with monitoring of the server infrastructure.
- Should have some experience with firewalls and VPN implementation.
- Should be very good with the customer service and should have great troubleshooting skills in order to resolve the problems.
- They should be familiar enough with the backup and recovery tool.
- Should be good enough to organize his/her work and prioritize accordingly and should be multitasking.
- Certification in Juniper, Cisco or CWNA is an add-on.
A candidate having a degree from an accredited university is eligible to apply for a Network System Administrator job. However, an applicant holding a degree in Information Technology or Computer Science would be preferable.
As far as certification is required, candidates certified with Cisco would hold the maximum chance to get the job.
A Network Administrator earns an average salary of Rs 342,023 per year. For the first 5 to 10 years, salary increases at a steady pace. However, some expertise in Network Security Management would be considered for a high pay job in this field. The average salary for the entry level to the higher level ranges in between Rs 155,301 - Rs 789,910. (Source: Payscale)